Tuesday, October 5, 2010

An Afternoon at The Jazz On The Grass: A Jackie Robinson Foundation Event

On Saturday afternoon, I joined over 100+ guests for a wonderful sunny afternoon at the home of the well-known director and producer Oz and Lynne Scott in Sherman Oaks, California.  I was kindly greeted by the valet staff curbside and checked in and ushered through the red carpet entrance to the wonderful setting in the backyard. Our hosts for the day, Oz and Lynne greeted me as I turned to enter their wonderful backyard. 

The setting was sprawling with white tents, white chairs, a perfectly placed stage over the pool area for all the jazz artist to come.  I was treated to a delicious array of food selections (the tempura and jerk chicken were favorites of mine) and a variety of cocktails throughout our day.  The event featured some of best jazz artist today like Sheila E., Kirk Whalum, Mindi Abair, Brian Bromberg, Patrice Rushen, Marcus Miller, Ndugu Chancler just to name of few.  All of the performances were amazing, but my favorites of the day included the all star jam session and the all-women jam session ....AMAZING, AMAZING!

One of the coolest things they did at the event to raise funds was to feature over 100 rare and/or highly desirable auction items, like a Lakers team jersey signed by all the players in a frame with a picture from the NBA championship night, or signed boxing gloves and robe from the one and only Muhammad Ali or the special autographed framed pictures of Denzel Washington's best pictures to date to just mentioned a few items on display.  I only wish I had an endless flow of cash to buy a number of items that were auctioned off!! 

I also had the opportunity to see many recognizable LA faces like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Avery, Salli Richardson, Dondre Whitfield, Shaun Robinson, Pat Prescott, Take 6 just to name a few sightings of my day.

This was my very first time at this event in its 5th year, which benefits The Jackie Robinson Foundation - a national, non-profit organization founded in 1973 as a vehicle to carry-out the memory of Jackie Robinson through the advancement of education among the underserved populations.  I am so honored that I had the opportunity to participate in this event and trust me, I will be there next year!!

Stay tuned for my next "Life in LA Experience".


No comments:

Post a Comment